If you are like me, you may not like baking everything from scratch completely but want things to be as good as they can be! I love the quick and easy aspect of boxed cake but when I was trying to make cupcakes for Lennox’s birthday last week – I started searching for a solution to make them denser. Every time I make cupcakes, they are falling apart because they are so fluffy. I was able to put together a solution from a previous recipe I used and it worked out so well!
The key ingredient? Sour Cream!
Adding 1 cup of sour cream to a boxed cake mix will make it extra moist, but will also create a much more denser cupcake. I also tried this with Lennox’s birthday cake – and it was SO moist – even more than the cupcakes. I found that it made a more “level” cake as well.
Here is the complete recipe for future reference:
- 1 Boxed Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs
- ⅓ Cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Mix until all ingredients are smoothly mixed together (about 2-3 minutes in stand mixer)
- Add in optional food coloring gel and mix until desired color is achieved.
- For Cake: Pour into greased and floured cake pan(s).
- For Cupcakes: Pour into lined cupcake pans.
- Bake cake/cupcakes according to times and temperature on cake mix box.
And to make the best frosting for your now, better cake, try out my favorite go-to Cream Cheese Frosting recipe!