The summer is officially over today for all the kid’s in our area, Lennox included. Today marks the first day of the 2014-2015 school year! As I’ve mentioned before, Lennox goes to school year round but her teacher has been gone for the summer and Lennox couldn’t be more excited be back in her class! This makes us so happy, she must really like school! With the school year routine starting back up and the fall approaching, it’s time to get back into a better routine; a routine that has Lennox helping us out more around the house. A while back I created a chore chart that was more a before bed type thing, but honestly, I dropped the ball with printing out new ones each week and getting it up for Lennox to use. So I decided to try and make a magnetic chart that can be easily stuck on the fridge and re-used over and over again! Keep reading and you will learn how to make it as well. One of the biggest chores that I am going to start having Lennox work on is dish washing. Her dish washing skills may not be 100% but we’ll make sure to get them rinsed with her help and into the dishwasher with dishwasher detergent to really get the job done!
Before I get to the tutorial of how to make this easy magnetic chore chart, I wanted to talk about the chores that we will include! On her daily chore chart she will need to do the following:
- Brush her teeth before school and before bed – if you follow me on Facebook, you probably have seen that we have been spending a lot of time getting diagnosed at the dentist with different treatment plans. Lennox has some big dental work to have done due to an enamel deficiency so making sure her teeth stay as clean as possible is key right now!
- Get ready for school.
- Feed the pets.
- Help with dinner dishes – at school, Lennox and all her classmates have always, starting at 18 months old, had to clear their own dishes. they scrape any remaining food off their plates and rinse off their dishes. Having her do the same thing at home and then place them into the dishwasher seems like a great idea!
We’ll have to have the best dish washing detergent (Finish) to get the job all the way done, we all know those little hands won’t get them clean enough, but it’s a good start and a big help!
- Put toys away.
- Put clothes and towels in hamper.
She does a lot of this already but I think formalizing it and making a chart that she can keep track on, will help her stay focused and get her chores done each day!
How to Make a Magnetic Chore Chart
What you will need:
- Card Stock
- Printed out pictures or stickers
I found this fun magnet chore chart on Pinterest and decided to try and recreate it + make it extra girly for Lennox! I thought if it looked fun, she would find the chores fun!
- Take a sheet of heavy cardstock and fold it in half the length-wise. Unfold the paper and lay flat.
- Figure out how many chores you are going to have and cut that many slits into the paper up to the folded line. This will create a small flap that can fold down for each chore.
- Take your printed chore pictures or stickers that represent each chore and glue them to the non-cut side (inside of fold).
- You can do the same thing on each flap (upside down) if you want to add labels.
- Stick on small strips of magnet or velcro to both sides of the paper within the folded flaps to allow your child to open and close each flap.
- Add a larger magnet to the back of your chore chart and stick it on the fridge! That’s it!
So far, our chore chart has been going well! Lennox’s favorite thing to help us with is loading and unloading the dishwasher. I won’t lie, watching her unload it is a little nerve-wracking. I keep waiting for the big crash of a breaking dish or glass! Having her help put everything into the dishwasher is much better for some reason! We have let her load it all up and then put the dish washing detergent in. We decided to stick with the individual packs of detergent by Finish, as they are easy for her to put into the dishwasher herself and get they are able to clean extra well (everywhere that Lennox missed!).
I hope that this chore chart helps your kid’s get their daily chores done too! If you are interested in picking up some Finish Dishwasher Detergent or other Finish products, just visit your local Walmart cleaning department. You can currently take advantage of a printable coupon + Walmart rollback (available until October) on Finish products, to help you save even more! Happy Cleaning!
What type of chores do you have your children do?
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post for #CollectiveBias and the #SparklySavings campaign. All opinions and photos are 100% my own.