Visiting New York City can be a whirlwind event. If you don’t have a lot of time, you will find yourself cramming as much into the day as possible. Although I got to see a bunch of New York City in my brief visit, I made sure I didn’t miss out on Broadway and Top of the Rock!
If you are unfamiliar with Top of the Rock – it is the observation decks on top of 50 Rockefeller plaza, or the GE Building as many others know it. You travel up 70+ stories above New York City in less than 60 seconds to get a bird’s eye view of the city.
I rocked Top of the Rock by myself, in New York City, on a Saturday night before Broadway. It was an adventure and I’m SO very glad that I made time to do so! Here are my top 5 tips for visiting Rockefeller and Top of the Rock observation decks.
5 TIPS FOR VISITING TOP OF THE ROCK OBSERVATION DECK
- Buy your timed tickets before you get there so that you don’t have to stand in the long ticket purchase line. They have a will call line at street level and it moves much quicker.
- Use your smartphone as your ticket. If you purchase your ticket online, you don’t even have to wait in the will call line, when it is your time slot, you can go right to security and show the bar code on your phone!
- Bring your camera! This is a no brainer but don’t just stick with your cell phone to take pictures – bring a real camera – the view is amazing! Make sure to have someone take your picture with the Empire State Building!
- Plan enough time – you don’t need HOURS to do this, but plan at least a good hour to 90 minutes to really take it in and enjoy it. It’s not that cheap ($29) so take your time! Take pictures, just stand quietly and explore the city.
- Download the App! They have an app for your smart phone that when you hold it up at the view, it will point out all the historic landmarks, tourist attractions, buildings, etc. It also include an audio tour.
I wanted to share a few of my photos that I took from the top as well! I just love to see how big the city really is and how you can get a 360 view of the city!
The view down below on tippy top of Rockefeller Tower!
It’s pretty amazing to see so much green in the middle of a huge city – Central Park!
The picture everyone wants to get! My new favorite picture of myself 🙂
An iconic view of Rockefeller Center!
And lastly, here is lady liberty in the distance. Next time I go to NYC, I hope to go see her up close!