This past weekend we had my daughter’s FIFTH birthday party with family. The theme that she chose? Hello Kitty! One of the things I had found on Pinterest and wanted to try myself were some DIY Hello Kitty Lanterns. I love how they turned out and they really were pretty easy to make. If you want to make your own, here is what you need to do to make a Hello Kitty Lantern.
DIY Hello Kitty Lantern Decorations
What you will need:
- Paper Lanterns
- Black Pipe Cleaners
- White Craft Foam
- Card stock
- Hot Glue Gun
How to make:
- Using white paper lanterns (I got mine at Oriental Trading Company), assemble them and find the “front” or side that you want to make the face of Hello Kitty on.
- Next, print out or cut out all the pieces that you will need for Hello Kitty’s face. I used a Silhouette to cut everything out but you can do it by hand as well. To get the bow to look the way it does, print out this bow on card stock and cut out by hand.
- Once you have your eyes, nose and bow – start gluing on, with hot glue, the eyes and nose.
- Before adding on the bow, you will need to cut out rounded triangles from white craft foam paper. You may need to experiment with this a few times to get the shape and size you are looking for.
- Hot Glue on the ears to each Hello Kitty and then glue the bow onto the lantern and bow as pictured below.
- Now it is time to add the final touch – whiskers! Using black pipe cleaners, hot glue them on, 3 on each side and you are done!
- You can use small white ribbon or even fishing line to hand the lanterns! I hung mine with thin white ribbon and then tied another piece of ribbon to the back onto the blinds to help stabilize them and stop them from spinning.
Here is how they looked at my daughter’s Hello Kitty birthday party! They make a fun and easy addition to the traditional decorations!
Stay tuned for more tutorials from our Hello Kitty birthday party and photos from the party!